How To Move To (And From) Another Country After Brexit

With Brexit still up in the air, it’s hard to understand what could happen in the coming years to the state of immigration. Although it’s easy to brush it off as it doesn’t affect me, it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t open a dialogue about how it will affect others in the coming years. I have family members who are expats, and friends who live here and moved here from their country of birth.

I wanted to write this post as a small guide for anyone looking to move to the UK or from the UK in the coming years, and how Brexit might affect their plans going forward.

Moving From Britain After Brexit

Thinking of leaving Britain and moving to Europe or further afield after Brexit? For now, it’s assumed that you should be fine to do so. The UK and the EU currently have an agreement which means that UK citizens can move freely between the 31 other member states. Of course, each country has it’s own laws in regards to moving there, so it’s best to look into the law of the specific country you’re looking to move to.

In more broader terms, until there is a deal (or no deal) the fate of moving abroad is still up in the air. If there ends up being a no deal Brexit, it could mean that British citizens could lose their EU citizens rights and end up becoming third country nationals.

This website offers an in-depth look into the rights of British citizens looking to move to EU countries once Brexit has taken place. It’s interesting to see that only Spain will continue to offer the same rights once Brexit has taken place for British born citizens.

Moving to Britain After Brexit

If you’re thinking of moving to Britain post-Brexit, then the story becomes a lot less clear. Immigration laws could be changing in the future, and no-one is really sure what will be the case for EU citizens moving to the UK. English laws (for Irish and Scottish laws you will need to get in touch with Irish Lawyers or Glasgow Immigration Lawyers) are said to be the same, welcoming EU citizens to live and work here, and with the EU settlement scheme already in place, it’s hoped that this statement will be true. If you’re looking to move to Britain for work, then you will need to apply for a tier 2 visa.

However, no-one can know for sure. Hopefully, students will continue to come and study here thanks to the new Student Visa, so if you’re looking to move here for education, please don’t be put off by Brexit! However, when it comes to British citizenship after Brexit, no-one can be sure of what will happen. In the meantime, you can check your current eligibility for citizenship here.

Leave a Reply